Thursday, July 28, 2011

Back to your Roots

 

Blouse - Sam's
beloved capris from JcPenney's
Shoes - yard sale
Necklace and earrings - Kristine creation

This necklace looks really good with this blouse

 I am so excited, I did my first attempt of putting up corn. Mr. Man brought some in from our garden, I shucked it, then had to call my grandmother to find what to do with it after that. You know I find it interesting that as I am getting older I am wanting to learn how to can and put up vegetables and experimenting with cooking and recipes. In my youth, I thought the kitchen was a place to grab a cola and had no idea how to cook anything that did not come in a box or frozen.  Not that "they" didn't try to teach me - I was much more interested in curling up with a book than learning to cook - bleh was my opinion.

Now I want to make my own stuff to freeze for later. We are also big about doing most of the cooking for the week the weekend before. It just makes life so much easier during the week to come from work and heat something up - makes dinner over with early so I can get kitchen cleaning out of the way and enjoy the rest of my evening. I also lay my clothes out the night before and make my breakfast/lunch for work the night before. I have even started filling the other sink with water for rinsing < GASP > I am doing everything "they" told me to do when I was young to which my response was to roll my eyes ( to myself of course as I may  not have had them to roll should "they" have seen me roll them).

I keep trying to put my finger on when I became like "them" but I can't really figure out exactly when that transformation occurred. I don't think it's a bad thing, just that I have recently became aware. Of course, the canning and food preparation has some to do with also trying to cut costs. I have noticed that alot more people are now growing their own food and canning. What about you? Have you taken on the traits of "them" and gone back to your roots?
Our first corn from our small garden
Before blanching and ice water treatment

Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment