Thursday, March 3, 2011

Asking for Help



Scarf - Grandma
Sweater and tank - Dillards
Capris - JcPenny
Prada shoes - thrifted
I really like today's outfit, I have worn this many times before except today I put the scarf with it. You can't really tell but the capris have yellow and purple pinstripping so the scarf really made it feel complete. Went to the gym for lunch, I don't know about you guys but I really dislike  hate working out. I usually feel good afterwards but getting there and during <scrunch nose>.

Today was another rough day, I really hate asking for help. Is that part of growing older? I don't recall having a problem asking for help as a child, as least I don't remember having an issue with that. Of course, being a child does have other benefits - for the most part, blissful ignorance to judgement. Perhaps technology has made it harder for me to ask for help. After all, if I don't know how to do something, I can just google it.{LIGHT BULB}

 Maybe I think the gym is a form of asking for help, I mean why can't have I my 20ish body without all this help from machines? Seriously!! MMMM never thought about it like that.  Of course, I find the cutest clothes in the "skinny" section; however, Plus size clothing is coming right along and they are now designing some really CUTE things for the curvier woman :) Even soo, I really want to fit into skinny clothes.
Magazines are always boasting ways for us to help ourselves, for instance on Body Image Boosting:

Redbook Magazine (Retrieved from WebMd: http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/13-body-image-boosters)
1. Undergo a head-to-toe grooming session: mani, pedi, bikini wax, leg and underarm shave. You'll feel fresh, pretty, and almost new.
2. Put on that expensive matching bra and underwear set that fits you just right. Sure, no one can see your lingerie beneath your clothes, but you'll feel sexy knowing it's there.
3. Go shoe shopping. Hey, your shoe size will never go up!
4. Put on a little eye makeup. Just because you're having a bad body-image day doesn't mean you can't have an "I feel pretty" day!
5. Treat yourself to a massage. It's a great way to get back in touch with your body.
6. Sign up for a five-mile race with a friend. It's hard not to feel fit and confident when you're training and thinking about crossing that finish line!
7. Take a fitness class (like Pilates or yoga) in a studio with no mirrors. It'll make you focus on your body from the inside out, instead of from the outside in.
8. Focus on what your body is capable of doing. For instance, if you're a mother, consider how your body grew a baby for nine months. Who cares if your belly is less than rock hard when you know what it produced?
9. Look at pictures of yourself with friends. It'll bring back memories of fun times when you probably weren't focusing on your appearance.
10. Buy and wear clothes that fit, even if it means going up a size. Too-tight duds serve as an all-day reminder that those size 10s don't fit like they used to, and too-loose clothes make you look frumpier and heavier — not exactly a confidence builder. Wear an outfit that gently hugs you in all the right places and you'll feel and look good.
11. Strike a (yoga) pose. Women who do yoga often have healthier attitudes toward their bodies, possibly because the practice discourages self-judgment.
12. Accept compliments with a smile. You deserve them, so act like you do — you might just believe yourself!
13. Set your sights on what you like when looking at your reflection — not on your trouble zones. Remember: It's okay to be proud of your body


This is Heathen scrunching his nose at working out too :)
      I participated in an exercise where a group of us was blind folded and taken into a room and there was string you could feel, the instructions were to use the string to find the way out but we were told over and over if we needed anything, they were there to help, all we needed to do was raise our hands. I went through and probably came to the same spot several times and the whole time the instructors were yelling, "If you need anything, we are here, just raise your hand." And announcing the names of those who had found their "way out". It finally dawned on me the exercise was to teach us to ask for help. Well....... I wasn't one of the first ones to catch on but I wasn't one of the last. I watched some women going back and forth, determined they would find their way out. There are times when I am that way, determined I can do it on my own and there are other times when I give up too easily. What about you? Do you ask for help easily? How do you know WHEN to ask for help?

2 comments:

  1. It's difficult but yes, I do ask for help - most of the time when I just know I can't do it and have tried, at least once.
    However, somethings I am lazy with and will ask for help before trying... i must admit it.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wrong about the shoe size - I was a 10, and could shop anywhere, until I got pregnant. Now, at 11.5, I have to shop online - no point going to the stores. But I love the sites that have free shipping both ways; I can try on a pair and return it without a care!

    ReplyDelete